Honoured for delivering the best user experience overall, FutureLearn joined a host of winners revealed last night at the third User Experience UK Awards during a prestigious event held at SapientNitro’s spectacular Spital Square venue in London.
Founded to recognise the most innovative and exceptional cases of user experience and user centred design, the UXUK Awards ceremony combined to celebrate with World Usability Day 2015.
Attracting high profile industry support and involvement, the UXUK Awards offers teams the opportunity to promote major achievements and celebrate success. The winners in each category underwent rigorous analysis by the judging panel and all entries were reviewed and deliberated upon by a number of top-ranking UX specialists and digital experts.
“Those shortlisted and the eventual winners of what were hotly-contested categories can congratulate themselves for producing entries of the highest calibre. Each entry went through a meticulous judging process and it took my fellow judges and I a great deal of time to make our final decisions,” explained Jon Dodd, CEO of Bunnyfoot and moderator of the judging panel.
Making the most of the celebration were brands including easyJet, which netted the top spot in the Best Information category; HSBC Expat Explorer, which came top of the Best Effect on Business Goals category; hub by Premier Inn, which seized Best Innovation; NatWest Touch ID, which won the Best Transactional Experience category, the Best Public Sector award went to Nottinghamshire County Council; Best Not-for-Profit went to Amnesty.org; Best Entertainment and Leisure Experience was taken out by English Heritage; the trophy for Best Learning or Education Experience was taken away by the overall winner FutureLearn.
Others seen to be enjoying the entertainment on the night included teams from John Lewis, Visa, UXPA, Houses of Parliament, Nationwide, eBay, Telegraphy, V&A, Royal Mail, Whitbread, BAFTA, BBC, Towers Watson and many more.
The hard-fought Best Overall User Experience award has previously been won by TFL Journey Planner in 2013 and last year BBC Sport, so FutureLearn are amongst very good company.
Boasting a splendid turn-out, a top-rated keynote speaker, and entries of the highest calibre, the success of the third UXUK Awards serves to firmly establish the event as the highlight of the UX industry calendar.
Making sure all attendees did not leave empty-handed, organisers and sponsors of the UXUK Awards 2015 offered discounts off leading industry software, and handed out luxury goodie bags containing some serious swag.
Jon Dodd, CEO of Bunnyfoot and moderator of UXUK Awards 2015 concluded:
“The UXUK Awards has once again uncovered some seriously impressive examples of user experience, reaffirming our belief that the UK continues to be a hub for UX innovation. The evening itself was the culmination of a lot of very hard work and generosity and we thank everyone for their support. Here’s to next year’s awards!”
List of Finalists and Winners
- Finalists: English Heritage & South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue
- Winner: Amnesty International
Best Entertainment & Leisure Experience
- Finalist: BT Sport (video player)
- Winner: English Heritage
Best Public Sector
- Winner: Nottinghamshire County Council
Best Transactional Experience
- Finalists: Laura Ashley & Brompton Bicycle Ltd
- Winner: NatWest: Touch ID
Best Effect on Business Goals
- Finalists: TalkTalk: Welcome Centre & V&A: Wifi splash screen
- Winner: HSBC: Expat Explorer
- Winner: hub by Premier Inn
- Finalists: Royal Mail: PDA service & Babylon healthcare
Best Student Project
- Finalists: “5 A Day Mobile App” by Kenny Mathew (University of York) & “Leaf – encouraging energy saving behaviour” by Matthew Standage (University of Reading)
- Winner: “London Bus Stop Flag & Post Redesign” by James Whittaker + team (City University London)
Best Information Experience
- Finalists: TalkTalk: Welcome Centre & WarmApp
- Winner: easyJet Mobile Host
Best Education or Learning Experience
- Finalists: BBC Storytime & Ambitious about Autism
- Winner: FutureLearn
Best User Experience 2015
- Finalists: HSBC Expat Explorer & Amnesty.org
- Winner: Future Learn